I love small finger foods, especially with 5 kids, I am always looking for fun little bite sized things to make for them. We all love apple pie (who doesn't right?!) So as it gets closer to fall I am trying to dig deep and find not only my inner child screaming for sweets, but also my love of cool weather, the wind in my hair and the smell of cinnamon in the air. One bite of these Apple Pie Rolls and you will be whisked to a moment in your life that you will remember and a smile will appear!
Apple Pie Rolls
Ingredients: 2 apples 1 granny smith and 1 gala (2 heaping cups worth) 1 large lemon juiced 1/3 cup sugar 4 Tbsp. flour 2 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp. all spice 1/8 tsp. salt 16 egg roll wrappers 1 egg lightly beaten
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream 1/4 cup sugar 2 tsp. vanilla 2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
2. Peel and chop apples and add into a medium sized bowl.
3. Add remaining filling ingredients to bowl with apples and stir together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes for all flavors to merry and the lemon to coat the apples.
4. Place 1 egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface ( I use a wooden cutting board) and brush edges with a 1 inch perimeter of egg wash.
5. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the filling across the side of the prepared egg roll wrapper closest to you. You do not want to over stuff these they will explode and they are easily “overstuffable”. *NOTE* I have overstuffed, they taste the same! Just a little messier.
6. Fold both sides toward the middle of the wrapper and brush again with the egg wash.
7. Finish by rolling the end you filled (closest to you) and rolling away from you keeping a firm hold and roll to the end, press gently but firmly to ensure a good seal.
8. Place roll on a baking sheet lined with parchment and sprayed with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.
9. Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. During the last 5 minutes of cook time, pull out baking sheet and brush rolls with a little melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Put back in oven for remaining 5 minutes. Serve immediately with sweetened whipped cream.
TO MAKE SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:
1. Place a bowl and your beaters in freezer until ready to make whip cream.
2. Get hand mixer, bowl and beaters; on medium-high speed add heavy whip cream
3. As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until completely incorporated.
4. Add vanilla and cinnamon
5. Continue mixing until stiff peaks form
6. Add in a dish on the side for dipping apple pie rolls in